Thursday, January 19, 2023

First Script Attempt

Having completed the basics of learning about camera shots, angles, movements and editing techniques it was finally time to start on my foundation portfolio film opening task.

Attached is the first script attempt I made for my two-minute film opening sequence. 

What I liked about this concept was the sense of mystery and anticipation being built up. I felt that creating a sequence based on genres like action, thriller and heist. I wanted the sequence to start off feeling casual to lull the audience into a fall sense of relaxation. Then, as the sequence progressed the audience would start to have questions and be invested in what would happen next after the opening.

However, after discussing this concept with my teacher I realized that there were a few issues with this idea. Although tension is created, this did not showcase many techniques and concepts that I had learnt. It also didn't really raise that many questions in the audience's mind since the protagonist's face is revealed within the opening. Furthermore, although I had created implications of a deeper underlying story behind the character (hence the pill-popping), it didn't really create much of an impression of the protagonist. My teacher suggested that it might be better to build up a backstory for the character to introduce the audience to her.  It would also be better to indicate the passage of time, rather than a linear sequence of events such as this one.

Hence, after considering the feedback I decided that I would come up with a different and better concept which would better showcase my knowledge on filmmaking. So, I decided to do some further research and come up with a different idea.




0 comments:

Post a Comment